Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Sixth Generation of Video Games draws to a close as Xbox 360 hits the scene.

Microsoft heralded the end of the "sixth generation" of video gaming as they released their upgraded Xbox 360 to the markets in 2005, which forced Sony to upgrade their own system shortly after.

The Xbox 360 was overall a very strong system, but there were quite a few bugs and problems with it, as anyone who ever fell victim to the dreaded "Red Lights of Doom" issue, denoted by the power switch flashing red instead of green like it was supposed to, usually because the processor going bad for any number of reasons.

Xbox 360 was the system I took with me to Iraq during my deployment, which gave me and my roommate multiple hours of zombie killing, monster killing mayhem to wind down after duty. It was while here that I first witnessed the aforementioned dilemma, probably in part due to the vast amounts of fine dust getting inside the system's processor.

Luckily, I had the extended warranty, and during leave got a replacement absolutely free! A recommendation I'd give to any who buy one of these systems as a precaution. GET THE SERVICE PLAN, the $20 is well-worth it for a console!

Granted the one I replaced the faulty one with has lasted about 3 years now and shows no signs of breaking anytime soon, but I wouldn't take the chance.



Again, X360 heralded the dawning of the 7th generation, forcing Sony's hand to upgrade beyond the PS2, leading to an overall, and rather vast upgrade to video game capabilities.

The PS2 and Xbox began dabbling in 3-D space, but the Xbox 360 and PS3 (Sony's answer to Microsoft's release) really pushed the envelope on the 3-D graphic spectrum, and really streamlined the over-the-net multiplayer capabilities more fully.

Xbox 360 is still having games released on it even today, until the new Xbox ONE fully phases out the old system, but as of date there have been around 960 games released on this platform, and has held strong to their market share for a good 8 years now, a rather long time when you compare it to most genres of the technology era, where things become generally obsolete within 2 years.

1 comment:

  1. I did't see the Xbox One yet. I mean the real one. But I ask my friend he told me best the game player should be Playstation.

    ReplyDelete